Friday 16 November 2012

Salad Nicoise Gabonese style

Its been ages since my last post, for a number of reasons. In part its a new job here and i'm learning the ropes. In part I dont have internet readily available and mostly because Ive been learning the local produce of Gabon.
The great thing here is that there is a real local trade from market and some really interesting produce, those that have been to Gabon have probably sampled a few of them.
Manioc, Oseille, Aukoumo and the list goes on. The fashion in the UK when I left was to work with foragers and use the local produce that perhaps is wild and hasnt been cultivated. Here that has never changed and the vast amount of the African produce I use comes from local markets.
So the trick now is to use these ingredients in a modern way but still retain a bit of recognition for the guests.
My first attempt was a Salad Nicoise and whilst we have great tuna in Gabon ive done this with local smoked Mackerell.
Yet to work out what wood they use to smoke with  but its pretty strong stuff, even a good wash doesnt effect the flavour!!
Picked down and pin bones removed its a really tasty fish and gets used a lot here mostly cooked with manioc leaves. I have semi dried local tomatoes as on their own they are a bit bland , sliced banana shallots and halved french beans. The potato element I have replaced with Igname which is a tarro root like potato.


Semi dried local tomatoes,cant wait for my dehydrator to come!!

the beans and tomatoes are dressed with a good quality olive oil as is the kalamatta black olives which is as good as I can lay my hands on for the moment finished with micro cress, endive, boiled eggs and balsamic caviar which I will demo in a separate post.

Smoked Tuna Nicoise

No comments:

Post a Comment